Saturday, June 5, 2010

Shreveport Farmers Market

Three years ago when we moved to Shreveport in mid-June, I spent some time figuring my way around and finding what I called my "happy places" - spots that I could go that would make me happy to live here, that are special and unique to this place. In fact I think that this method of finding happy places is the reason I tend to adapt well to new cities in general. Happy spots are the reason that I begin to feel that "this city is home" - whether it's Atlanta, Winston-Salem, DC, Florence, Dallas, or Shreveport!

Betty Virginia Park was one of the obvious spots since our rental house backed up to it, and I soon discovered Sunshine Health Foods, where you can buy grains and dried fruit in bulk. Counter Culture's Humphrey yogurt (tangy frozen yogurt with granola, fresh fruit and honey... yum) was another happy spot. Then there was the library and the locally-owned shops in Uptown Center- King Hardware, Sprout & Co, and Tower Book Shop.

I had only recently discovered the Dallas farmers market before we moved, and when I found out that Shreveport had a weekly market, I took myself down there right away. It became my immediate happy spot - all of the cute farmers, the fresh bread baker, the plethora of jellies and jams, and the recommendations of how to cook a particular vegetable.

Well, this morning the farmers market opened up for the summer again (wow - is it really my FOURTH summer living here!?) and of course I planned to head down there. Last summer I discovered the vendor that sold grass-fed organic beef, and I noticed that her more popular cuts would be sold out by the time I got there at 10am... I started going earlier and earlier, and with this week's meal plan in mind, I knew I needed to get there pretty early to get the best stuff. I couldn't believe how crowded it was when I arrived at 7:30am - no place to park and a line 20 people deep at the beignet stand.

Sarah met me there as I was selecting my all-natural, locally grown chicken breasts and we circled the market together. I ended up with corn, red potatoes, roma beans, okra, garlic, local honey, cherry almond granola, chicken breasts and grass-fed organic ground beef. I sampled the homemade gouda cheese but was running low on cash... maybe next time. I did stop for a basket of the beignets on the way out - delicious. See you next week, farmers market!

Not much elbow room at 7:30 a.m.

Samples of homemade cheeses

My bounty!

2 comments:

  1. 2nd time to leave a comment. The 1st got erased! Glad you got the granola! The owners go to my church. I need to venture to the Dallas Farmer's Market. I need to find a happy place over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, that comment was from me!
    Love,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete