Monday, May 24, 2010

Chocolate + Cherries = heaven

I made this recipe yesterday and it was soo good - rich and chocolaty and the fresh cherries (which were half-off price at the grocery store!) were the perfect accent. David couldn't believe there was no milk in the recipe, it was that rich.

(From Cooking Light. I omitted the extra sugar on the cherries and used Splenda instead, and I wonder if next time I could use Splenda in the main recipe, too. There is certainly plenty of sugar from the cherry preserves. )


Ingredients

  • Sorbet:
  • 3/4 cup red cherry jam (such as Bonne Maman)
  • 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups water

  • Compote:
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 pound fresh Bing or tart cherries, pitted and halved

Preparation

1. To prepare sorbet, combine first 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add 2 cups water, stirring with a whisk. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring well with a whisk. Cool to room temperature; cover and chill overnight.

2. Stir sorbet mixture with a whisk. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.

3. To prepare compote, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cherries; toss well. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Serve compote with sorbet.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Blog! Oscar says he wants me to start one and name it after him (Laziest dog in the world blog? I only move for treats blog? I won't get up but I'll wag my tail when you call me blog?). Maybe when I get a computer I'll make that my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! your blog is going to be amazing, and i love the title otes magotes, i laughed out loud. and i love your recipes and miss you, so this will be soooooooo fun!!

    ReplyDelete